- What is protein ?
- The principles of the Axodiet® protein diet
- What is in Axodiet® packets ?
- Protein quantities in a protein diet (PD)
- How do the different phases of the protein diet work ?
- Axodiet® food supplements and the protein diet
- Difficult to stick to the protein diet ?
- The advantages of the protein diet
What is protein ?
- All body tissue is composed of protein : muscles, skin, hair, nails, organs (liver, heart…) . Protein is composed of amino acids linked together. There are 20 amino acids, eight of which are essential because they cannot be produced by the body and must therefore be provided through diet.
- Sources of protein : there are two dietary sources- Animal : meat, fish, eggs and dairy products- Vegetable : grains and grain derivitives (rice, corn, pasta, bread, couscous, soy, legumes…)
- The role of proteins : proteins are active in all stages of cell life, particularly in cellular reconstruction. They are found in tissue, enzymes, hormones and, above all, in muscles. Muscle mass must be preserved by a daily intake of proteins of high quality nutritional value.
- Protein requirements : approximately 1g per kilo per day. A person weighing 70kg requires 70g.
Caution : Protein sources should be varied as a balanced diet is obtained from a wide source of vegetable and animal protein..
- Proportions : 2/3 vegetable protein is recommended for 1/3 animal protein
- Remember : red meat and charcuterie have saturated fat content
- Choose: fish protein several times a week (grilled or oven-baked in papillote)
The principles of the Axodiet® protein diet
A protein diet is one of the oldest and most efficient weight loss methods except that today, not everyone can claim this title ! A protein diet isn’t just concocted without a method or an understanding how it works and what is at stake but when this is the case, the kilos come off and stay off for good !
How a protein diet is constructed makes all the difference.
How does it work ?
A calorie-reduced diet consists of reducing the overall number of calories while providing the three major nutritional categories – proteins, carbohydrates and fats while a protein diet is based on high protein content and low carbohydrate and fat content which forces the body to rely on its fat reserves to produce the energy that it needs on a daily basis.
On a protein diet, you consume the necessary quantity of protein in the form of Axodiet® hyper- protein preparations of various flavours and textures, taken 1 to 5 times a day, according to the phase, accompanied by authorized vegetables (see below). Note that during this period of rapid weight loss, to avoid deficiencies, Axodiet® hyper-protein preparations have optimal, regulation vitamin, mineral and trace mineral supplements. The duration of a protein diet is determined in accordance with your physician’s advice when the phases of the diet to be followed are chosen.
There isn’t a diet today that doesn’t restrict food consumption. Weight loss measures are accompanied by strict conditions in a limited lapse of time and under medical control.
Rather than an Axodiet® protein diet, why not just eat dietary protein in the form of meat, poultry, fish, eggs or cheese, you ask ?
These dietary proteins often have significant fat content which is not only an impediment to weight loss but also when consumed in too large quantities can provoke biological disorders (cholesterol…)
Axodiet continues to innovate which has allowed the protein diet to take an important step : each of our packets is now coupled with a new formula called ORGANOVITAL. Axodiet protein associated with ORGANOVITAL will not only maximize the efficiency of the AXOVITAL diet but above all, assure you safe usage and maximum protection on a hyper protein diet.
The AXOVITAL diet is a result of the following combination: for an overall approach, Axodiet decided to actively reinforce muscular development, which is extremely important during a diet, by adding the dietary supplement MYOVITAL associated with 12 exercises to do at home along with a guide which is offered when you order. The guide may also be downloaded from the website (in French only)
What is in Axodiet® packets ?
A frequent criticism of protein packets is that they contain a long list of chemical ingredients. Axodiet® packets consist of reconstituted nutritional products (as in the case of powdered milk for babies) to which are added flavours, textures (according to the type of drink, cream, crepe, flan or omelette), vitamins, minerals, trace elements and essential fatty acids. Our proteins, all of high nutritional value (a protein index >100), are based on milk, soy or legumes. Many of the flavours and textures in our packets have been revisited. Products of 100% vegetable origin are gluten-free and have increased the number of gluten-free products that are easily found in our boutique. Some of our products can be added to, as it is explained in our book on Axodiet® cuisine !
Protein quantities in a protein diet (PD)
Protein content in a protein diet is approximately :
- 1.2g/kg/day of ideal weight for women
- 1.5g/kg/day of ideal weight for men
For an ideal weight of 60 kg :
- 1.2g x 60 = 72g/day for women distributed throughout the day
- 1.5g x 60 = 90g/day for men distributed throughout the day
It is of no use to want to consume more protein in order to lose weight. Protein alone does not have the ability to make you lose weight. Their strength is to not accumulate in the body, to not allow fat to be stored up (Axodiet® preparations) and to not allow weight gain… but above all to protect muscle mass (lean mass).
The solution to the equation « I want to lose weight, not gain it back, and preserve my health » is not found only in protein but also, and above all, in what accompanies it, particularly ketosis.
The limited intake of sugars and fats in a protein diet, which is detected by the pancreas and the central nervous system, sets in motion a series of modifications: regulatory procedures which use fat stored in the adipocytes (fat cells) as energy fuel to kick start ketosis which in turn begins weight loss. This weight loss is rapid – in a few days the fat from the thighs, hips, the stomach, shoulders and neck starts to melt away while you regain tone and energy thanks to ketosis.
During the protein diet, protein reserves in the muscles and organs are protected by an intake of protein in the form of hyper-protein preparations. It is important to preserve the muscular mass in order to combat the feared « yo-yo » effect. Do not forget that, since ancestral times, the body has been programmed to cope with famine and scarce food supply : the body stores what it has just spent and sometimes even more. This is what can happen at the end of a diet when reintegrating foods without supervision. But the AXOVITAL diet with medical accompaniment from the STARTER phase to the TRANSITION phase is sure to succeed over the longterm.
The idea of the protein diet is to limit that which causes weight gain and above all, that which hampers weight loss : carbohydrates. It is a true answer to weight loss without invasive treatment, operations or prescription drugs. In alleviating stress on the pancreas, the organ that regulates sugar levels thanks to the insulin it produces, the protein diet is able to use reserves of stored fat. During a protein diet, sugar intake is restricted. In each phase, your doctor will guide you to progressively reintroduce sugars. You will learn to detect sugar in food, to better understand by consulting « Axodiet® and you – glycemic index » and to make smart food choices according to their index or glycemic content. Choose foods with a low glycemic index.
How do the different phases of the protein diet work ?
Your doctor will accompany you throughout the different Axovital phases : you begin with the STARTER 1 or STARTER 2 phase and will continue with the TRANSITION phase.
To know more about the AXOVITAL phases of AXODIET, what a typical day is like and authorized foods, consult the heading AXOVITAL Diet
Axodiet® food supplements and the protein diet
These constitute a concentrated source of nutrients or other substances having a nutritional or physiological effect when food alone is not sufficient to ensure the nutritional needs of the body . The Axodiet® food supplements were developed to accompany the particular needs of the protein diet. Follow your physician’s advice.
Difficult to stick to the protein diet ?
- As mentioned, prepare yourself for dietary restrictions.
- By the third day, enjoy the natural sensation of not being hungry generated by ketosis.
- Remember to stock up on packets. They’re easy to take everywhere.
- Prepare those around you for the beginning of your diet. They will be a help rather than a hindrance.
- Don’t hesitate to continue to cook vegetables that are allowed as well as using herbs, spices and seasonings with the packets (for more informations upload our book on Axodiet® cuisine)
- Break monotony during the day by varying textures thanks to the variety of Axodiet® products.
- Aside from the smile you’ll have when you step on the scale, enjoy new-found energy thanks to Axodiet® protein diet.
The advantages of the protein diet
- Rapid weight loss
- As a result of ketosis, no feeling of hunger as of the second or third day and an overall feeling of well-being
- Radiant skin thanks to proteins and vitamins
- An efficient method and therefore increased motivation
- A safe method because of medical control and follow-up
A protein diet should not be undertaken in the following cases :
- Children, adolescents
- Pregnant or nursing women
- An absence of obesity (BMI <30)
- Behavioural problems
- Kidney or liver diseases
- Cerebral arteriopathy
- Insulin-dependant diabetes
- Blood conditions, cancer
- Electrolyte disorders
- Recent cerebrovascular accident
- Cardiac rythme problems
- Recent heart attack
- Insufficient cardiac output